Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Petroforms - Whiteshell

I had seen photos of the petroforms, and it looked like a neat spot!  Definitely worth a quick visit.  There is a parking lot right off of the highway, then you take a short trail through the woods.  You come upon the site rather suddenly, and did it ever throw me for a loop! 

I'm not sure what I was expecting, to have it impress me so deeply, but impress me it did.  The whole area feels "charged".  I make no attempt to explain it whatsoever, it just "feels" different.  The whole area is rock, with amazing vegetation clinging to life in small mats overtop.  The petroforms themselves were much bigger than I expected - for some reason, I thought they were small - a couple of feet across.  But they are large, perfectly sized to function as burial circles, the largest being about 6 or 7 feet long.  That was my first impression, though I had read that the original usage of the area remains unknown. 

It's not the first sacred site I've been to, but it definitely the most powerful.



I figure the "haze" in the following photo is some sort of light artifact, a couple of my photographs appeared a little bit hazy.  Maybe even a processing flaw.  Funny thing is, I didn't notice it at all until the photo was scanned.  It was visible on the print, once I knew to look for it, but shows up much more on the computer.

No matter, I think I'll believe this is a photograph of the resident spirits - or at least the spirits visiting at that time! 



No comments: